You are here

Frank K3RGU Memorial

I'd like the memory of me to be a happy one, I'd like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done.
I'd like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, Of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.

I'd like the tears of those who
grieve, to dry before the sun
Of happy memories that I leave
When life is done.

~Author unknown


The Light Blinks No more.
By Bill - N3TES

I remember the first time I met Frank, it was on the bus to Dayton Hamvention. My first of what became an annual trek. K3LIE/Jim, K3AZP/John, KA3IHV/Larry and W3JQJ/Matt were also aboard the bus. The crew on the bus made my cry with laughter. The kidding was so damn funny. Being a HAM, going to Dayton was all new to me.

As the years passed, I got to know Frank/K3RGU, he was something special -- "A GROUCH"!! He also was a friend to all who got beyond his SMART returns. He was always there when you needed help; and always seemed to have an answer for your questions.

The CODE was not his bag, but other things that caught his interest he was good at. He was a true HAM, and Marine first.

As changes occurred with computers, his specialty waned. Packet Radio died but Frank kept his going. With the arrival of Email everyone seemed to be retiring their Packet stations. Frank and a select few kept theirs going, but it was not the same. Not to be a relic, Frank even got on AOL, bought a new computer with Windows 98.

I was one of the few who kept theirs going to catch a few packets from Frank. We were always in touch by leaving messages, late at night or early in the morning. We still used our fun toy until Frank got sick.

For months I would walk in and check my KAM Plus, an old habit from years receiving packets from Frank. Then suddenly there was a problem, I was receiving no packets.

"The Light BLINKS - No more."

We all lost a good friend, Frank Salisbury/K3RGU, TECHNICIAN PLUS Extraordinary HAM, MARINE. He is now an Extra with the Almighty - not bad for the only thing Frank disliked was the CODE. See you FRANK - someday. We will always remember you. Your antenna is now higher than ever, make my light blink.


By Jerry Vondas - STAFF WRITER

     Frank Salisbury's bad back injury kept him from working, but he put his time at home to use for the community, helping the Salvation Army in emergencies as a ham radio operator.

     "When a call came over the police or fire scanner the Dad kept in our home, he'd immediately contact the Salvation Army so they could send out the Sally Wagon" recalled his daughter, Cynthia Connolly. "He was also in contact with a network of Salvation Army units and volunteers that he could dispatch if the situation got worse."

     Frank R. Salisbury, better known as K3RGU (King 3 Robert George United), died of cancer on Thursday, March 25, 1999, in Suburban General Hospital, Bellevue. Mr. Salisbury, 70, was a Bellvue resident.

     Born and raised in Washington, Washington County, Mr. Salisbury was one of three children of C.J. and Laura Compston Salisbury. He was 8 when his father died. His mother moved the family to North Side and worked various jobs to raise the children.

     Like many of the men and women raised during the Depression, Frank Salisbury dropped out of Allegheny High School and worked to help with the family finances. Toward the end of World War II, Mr. Salisbury entered the U.S. Marine Corps and served as a military policeman in Hawaii.

     In 1948, he married Phyllis McFarland, whom he had met while they attended Latimer Jr. High School, also on the North Side. She too, had dropped out of school to help her family during the Depression.

     In 1952, they moved from North Side to Bellvue.

     "Mom and Dad had allot in common," added Connolly. "They both knew what it meant to struggle, but they never complained. Mom died in 1982."

     After their marriage, Mr. Salisbury held a number of jobs before being employed at the Allis-Chalmers Corp. on the North Side. Mr.Salisbury suffered a sever back injury that left him unable to work.

     "Dad had been a ham radio operator years before he was injured," Connolly said. "Since he couldn't work, he spent hours talking to friends and other ham radio operators in the area. A friend got him interested in the work of the Salvation Army.

     "And although Dad knew he couldn't go out and actively participate when they had an emergency, he thought he could be of help to the Salvation Army by being a dispatcher and repairing and maintaining their radio equipment."

     Connolly also recalled how their home in Bellevue was constantly filled with electrical and mechanical gadgets that friends and neighbors had dropped off for her Dad to fix.

     "Dad was a good mechanic and they knew it. I had to make a path through his rooms that were filled with radios and computers and gadgets after Mom died so I could get through."

     Although he could never interest his children or grandchildren in becoming ham radio operators, his son, Alan, has been a volunteer fireman in Bellevue for more than 25 years.

     Mr. Salisbury was a quiet man who never really became involved outside of his home, his daughter said.

"He was welcomed at the hardware store, where they'd let Dad sketch certain hardware and equipment that he could later make at home," added Connolly.

Mr. Salisbury is survived by his daughter, Cynthia D. Connolly of Bellevue; a son, Alan R. Salisbury of Bellevue; grandchildren, Alan R. Salisbury Jr., Michael S. Connolly, Justin M. Salisbury, and Amanda E. Salisbury; and a great-grandson, Jaccob A. Salisbury. He was also the brother of the late Charles Salisbury and Wilma Patton and the grandfather of the late Melissa Lynn Salisbury.